Re: [CQ-Contest] You gotta let me know, should M/M Distributed stay or g

To: ua9cdc@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] You gotta let me know, should M/M Distributed stay or go.
From: Stan Zawrotny <k4sbz.stan@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 13:43:47 -0400
The question is, "Does it hurt?"  The most common argument that I have
heard is that it takes away operators. But really, how many? To counter
that, how many are added that wouldn't have been there otherwise? I think
it balances out.

On the positive side, putting them in their own little category gives them
a place to play by themselves. Otherwise, they would be constantly leading
in existing categories, taking away chances for "normal" stations to lead.

The idea of categories is to have stations compete against similar
stations. That principle is violated whenever a station with advantageous
different capabilities is allowed to compete against others who are common
to the category.  In this regard, I also believe that SO2R should be placed
in a different category. (BTW, I occasionally operate SO2R myself).

 These are the thoughts of someone who never is competitive in any
category. :-)
Stan, K4SBZ