Re: [CQ-Contest] You gotta let me know, should M/M Distributed stay or g

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] You gotta let me know, should M/M Distributed stay or go.
From: David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 14:43:39 -0700

Paul,

The same argument could be made for ANY remote operation, and you are most definitely swimming upstream (and mostly alone) on that.

And in spite of the countless times you have mercilessly flogged this horse, what you perpetually are either unable to understand or unwilling to accept is that remote operations like this do not supplant any portion of the traditional amateur radio RF link.  The internet portion is spliced in series with every bit of the usual RF chain.  The RF isn't being replaced or bypassed (if anything, it is being burdened by the extra links).  The requirement for a full RF portion makes it completely different than other internet communications, and every contest I'm aware of declares the relevant QTH to be at the source of the RF ... not the operating position.

Even the ability for someone living on the west coast to operate from the east coast via a remote link is no different than if that person paid a bunch of money for a plane ticket to guest op at that same station ... except that the remote link makes it potentially cheaper and more accessible to more people.

Dave   AB7E