Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting and the FT8 Revolution

To: "robert" <wa1fcn@charter.net>, "" <ktfrog007@aol.com>, "" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting and the FT8 Revolution
From: "Salvatore [\"Ted\"] K2QMF" <k2qmf@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 18:53:09 -0400
FT8 also takes the FUN out of Ham Radio and out of DXing and out of Contesting!!
Ted  K2QMF

On 6/20/2021 5:53:05 PM, wa1fcn <wa1fcn@charter.net> wrote:

GA Ken

        I have read your post a couple of times. My thoughts......
You are partly

        correct.  DXSummit and RBN have certainly changed how we DX.
There are

        a couple differences between that and what FT8 did to DXing!
Did the

        RBN/DXSummit  stop or curtail any CW/SSB operations?  Do You
have friends

        club members ect. who feel/talk bad about RBN ect, probably not.

            Let me be clear I am not totally against FT8 only the way
ARRL has integrated

            it with the DXCC program, and it's effect on RTTY and the
thought once a

            new ham gets into FT8 seriously, you can forget about
him/her putting any real effort

            into learning CW  or being a proficient SSB operator.  For
full disclosure every few months

            I do get on FT8 for a couple weeks.

                Back to DXCC with FT8......... What can be done with 50
watts FT8 can not even

                be done with a KW on SSB or CW now.  Do you consider
those QSL's/QSO's

                equal to SSB/CW  efforts ? I do not.

                            73 OM   BoB WA1FCN

On 6/20/2021 11:46 AM, ktfrog007@aol.com wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> You wrote:  The ARRL has destroyed the value of DXCC.

> The ARRL hasn't done anything.  Technological change has.
>
> The DX clusters and RBN destroyed the value of DXCC.  That happened
> quite a while back.  Long before FT8 came along.
>

> DXers used to be admired for their skills, knowledge and
> perseverance.  They used to operate by their wits. No longer.  That's
> what ruined DXCC.
>

> Name me a DXer you admire who has started from scratch 15 years ago
> and has over 300 Current confirmed and hasn't used the clusters or RBN..
>

> 73,
>
> Ken, AB1J

4th Body Found in NC River, 1 Victim Still Missing
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/60cfc6d8e185846d53913st02vuc1
This Airbnb Team Steps In When Horrible Things Happen
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/60cfc6d910a9246d53913st02vuc2
Thermostats in Texas Are Being Adjusted Remotely
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/60cfc6d93433146d53913st02vuc3