Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting and the FT8 Revolution

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting and the FT8 Revolution
From: RT Clay <rt_clay@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 20:33:51 +0000 (UTC)
The weak signal performance of FT-8 is in a large part due to its time
synchronization, which is part of the specification of FT-8, not a "limitation"
of wsjtx. With an asychronous digital mode the decoder has to figure out when a
transmission starts. For weak signals that is a very hard problem. The same
weak signal performance is NOT possible without the synchronization.

FT-8 and FT-4 are lousy contest modes because when signals are strong they are
too slow, and they can't adapt to signal strength like CW or SSB can. FT-8 has
majorly impacted VHF contesting. Now many op's 6m radios are stuck on 50.313
FT-8 and many have disconnected microphones. 6m Es is however not always a weak
signal mode, and in a strong opening FT-8 is simply too slow comapred to SSB.
FT-4 is a partial solution but nobody wants to leave 50.313 FT-8.
A better way would be to run FT-8 and FT-4 on the same channel and have wsjtx
decode both at the same time.

Tor N4OGW

   On Monday, June 21, 2021, 2:52:27 PM CDT, David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com>