Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting and the FT8 Revolution

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting and the FT8 Revolution
From: David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 11:59:05 -0700

Everything you just said there is the fault of WSJT-X as a user interface ... not FT8 or FT4 as a mode.  They are NOT the same thing.  WSJT-X is simply the narrow and restrictive vehicle by which we have been exposed to the exceptional weak signal capability of modern digital processing (forward error correcting, Costas array processing, etc).  We'd all be having a LOT more fun with a more open ended interface ... possibly with these parameters:

1.  wider individual signal bandwidth, such as maybe 200 Hz instead of 83 Hz.

2.  fully tunable over the typical digital sub band (like RTTY does)

3.  Asynchronous in time ... i.e., not locked to a discrete and specific clock window

4.  shorter blocks of data with continuous feed of the blocks

5.  sent via text blocks on the transmit end ... exactly as DVRs and contest loggers do now

6.  displayed as text or converted to audible CW (or even digital voice) on the receive end

Such an interface would be amenable to DXing, contesting, or ragchewing with a user experience similar to CW or RTTY, except with far better weak signal performance.  It would even be possible to have a built in CW to text converter on the transmit end for CW ragchewing.  In my opinion, it's almost a crime that the capability of FT8/FT4 is being so completely constrained by WSJT-X.

The weak signal performance of FT8/4 is entirely possible with a user interface that would be hard to distinguish between how we typically use CW and RTTY for DXing and contesting.  I've dug into this stuff enough to know that (and I have a son who has done leading edge work on this kind of thing for a living for over 20 years) ... I'm just not smart enough to code it.

73,
Dave   AB7E