[TenTec] Fw : Orion first impressions

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Fw : Orion first impressions
From: nq5t@attbi.com (nq5t@attbi.com)
Date: Tue Apr 8 22:57:30 2003
Much of what you have indicated has to do with personal
preference.  The whole long thing on tuning rate is baffling.  You can
get a nice roughly 5Khz per rev with encoder rate set to fast, and
step at 10Hz.

Most of this seems to be personal preference -- for example, the
suggestion of a 100 hz step size and 50 or 100Khz per revolution
default in AM mode would be terrible (for this user).  Obviously you
don't operate AM.  One man's poison ....

I hadn't thought to crank the PBT control to see how long I could
turn it before it fell off, but you're right -- there's nothing there to
save oneself from one's own folly.  Also I didn't drop the radio from
3 feet to see if it would meet my durability objectives -- don't plan to
either, cause I'll bet it would break.

On that subject, it seems to me that the Hi/Lo cut controls work
exactly as you would expect them to work in a receiver with
continuously variable bandwidth, and without the need to shift two
crystal filter passbands in various overlapping ways.  Yes, in USB
for example, Hi cut is the same as Bandwidth.  And in fact, the Hi/Lo
cut is just single knob control of bandwidth and PBT/bandwidth
combined.  So you don't really need it, but it makes life intuitive and
easy, and works VERY VERY well.  The VBT stuff on
Yaecomwoods is second best, at best.

Other things, like overall monitor level (which could stand to be
increased) and items which are true "bugs" as opposed to things not
meeting your personal design goals could be reported to Ten-Tec at
ditsnbits@tentec.com.  So far, EVERY item I have discussed with
them (which was a bug and not a design choice, and there have
been several) has been fixed.

Isn't it nice that you can return your Ten-Tec within 30 days.  And
isn't it nice that you can upgrade in place.  Don't have to buy an
Orion, and then an Orion PRO and then an ORION PRO-II and then
then an Orion SUPER-PRO X and  ... whatever.

Grant