Re: [TenTec] Decision Made

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Decision Made
From: "Bernard(wtrone)" <wtrone@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 11:37:36 -0600
    Todd:

        I have to laugh when I hear someone (who probably has not used an
Orion) comment that he believes that it is "an excellent PROTOTYPE rig for
the future."  Come on now, it is here for today!

        I waited about a full year before I ordered my Orion last February.
I was concerned about all the "software problems."  I didn't want to get
"stuck" with a rig that required fixing every so often.  But, I was
impressed with the receiver performance numbers which, thus far, no other
commercial rigs (Yaesu, Kenwood, ICOM) can even come close to without
significant after market modification.

        And, NO, I don't necessarily install every new software option that
TenTec offers.  My rig came with 3.169 and I did not load 3.170.  It was a
while before I decided to install 3.171.  I have 3.172 downloaded to my
computer but I have not, thus far, installed in on my Orion.  Why?  Partly
because I haven't gotten around to it.  Partly because the radio does
everything that I want it to.  Partly because I'm waiting to see if TenTec
comes out with a quick fix for some of the issues like they did after 3.170.

        I can honestly say that I HAVE NOT had ANY of the problems mentioned
on this board!  Of course I am not a high speed CW operator but I can say
that the roofing filters, receiver IMD and DSP really work swell on SSB.  I
run an Alpha 87A and have not seen any of the so called RFI problems.  Maybe
I am lucky, I don't know.  But, I do know that I am very satisfied with my
Orion.

        By the way, the Orion replaced a FT-1000 with a NIR-12 which was not
a shabby setup.  I can also honestly say that the performance of the Orion
is superior.  Of course, that is my subjective opinion, nothing more.  And,
the FT-1000 and NIR-12 are now for sale.

        This post was not to flame you, only give you another perspective of
someone who is pleased with his Orion.

        May you and your family have a Happy and Safe Holiday Season.

            73,

            Bernard, WA4OEJ