[TenTec] Why I like Ten Tec (long)

To: <TenTec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Why I like Ten Tec (long)
From: "Joseph Trombino Jr" <w2kj@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 19:15:47 -0500
Howdy Fellow Ten Tec'ers:

I usually just lurk on this list and absorb all the good info passed out but I thought I would relate a story that happened to me and why I go with Ten Tec when I can in terms of types of equipment to purchase.

About 12 years ago I was shopping for a new HF rig. The OMNI VI was not yet available.

I decided to go with the new Yaesu FT990. This was a fine rig on SSB but I kept making keying mistakes on CW....kept me wondering if my CW skills had diminished.

To make a long story medium, and after many, many phone calls to Yaesu talking to people who didn't know very much I finally got thru to a senior Yaesu person who is know to all in the U.S. He admitted that the CW keying problem was known to Yaesu, Inc, that it was a timing problem and that Yaesu was not going to fix it!!! He was sympathic to my problem but it was essentially tough luck on my part.

I saw this chap at a Hamfest later in the year and caught him in the midst of about 15 other hams. When I was able to break in to make some comments I related my story to him while the other hams were listening...my final line was "So have I wasted almost $2000 on a rig that won't transmit CW properly because of a known problem that Yaesu has said they won't fix"???

He finally relented and told me to tell my dealer that Yaesu would make a full refund. This was a full year after I had started the process with Yaesu. I did get the refund and bought an OMNI VI, best choice I have made in many years:-)

Fast-forward to 2003. After having owned the Ten Tec OMNI VI/3 for 9 years I decided to purchase an Orion. I believe I got a 2nd or 3rd production run radio.

I had many problems with this radio, problems that never seemed to happen twice...just a lot of random problems. After one trip to the Ten Tec tech shop most of the quirks were gone but several new ones popped up...not just nit-pickers but problems that prevented me from using the radio as one normally would.

I asked Paul Clinton if I was gonna get stuck with a bum radio since I needed to send it back again......his reply......"Just send the radio back and we will send you an new one"........Could I believe my ears???....Well, coming from Ten Tec I was confident I could. I sent the radio back and got a brand new one in the first quarter of 2004 and the radio has worked perfectly for me every time I have turned it on.

Absolutely reliable 100% of the time.....now I don't go pressing and pushing buttons just for fun to see if I can make if fail...I just use the radio as I had used my OMNI VI.....the Orion is a great radio....the best receiver I have ever used. They fixed most of the earlier problems and will probably fix all of the problems after a period of time.

So Why do I like Ten Tec!!!!

I buy Yaesu two meter rigs and I have an IC-910 for satellite operation. But if Ten Tec ever makes a neat 2m/440 rig and a satellite radio all my other stuff is going to get sold and I will buy Ten Tec for sure.

Okay....so that's my story and I'm sticking by it:-)......I hope all the bugs get worked out of the Orion but in the mean time I am enjoying the best radio I have ever had the opportunity to use on a daily basis and without problem number one.

Merry Xmas to all and I wish a prosperous and healthy New Year to all on the list. Enjoy the hobby and enjoy the Orion.

73, Joe W2KJ
North CArolina