Re: [TenTec] Simple Radio - No Computer Inside

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Simple Radio - No Computer Inside
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:53:29 -0700 (PDT)
--- Dudley Hurry <jhurry@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Gary,
>
> The technology has out run many, including the
> manufactures.   Even in the
> pickup truck setting in the garage has many computers in it
> just to make it
> run..   I think that most today have at least 5 computer
> systems running at all times.

A fellow I work with is a modern day "gear head". In addition
to the typical mechanical mods done to engines for
"performance enhancement" purposes he modifies the computer
programs that the engine is controlled by. He's having a lot
of fun and wouldn't go back to hot rodding his vehicles by
using old mechanical only engine controls for nothing. And
there are many others out there like him too.

> Many of the parts that have been used in the
> past are not
> available any longer and I am not sure that you can build a
> "new" radio
> today without some sort of computer or some computer logic
> built in..

The exact parts aren't all available anymore but some newer
better ones are, - even for a super basic, no computer radio.
I still think that a resurrection of the Atlas 210X/215X
basic design concept is feasible. Use band specific VFO
ranges like the 210X (minimizes birdies and eliminates LO
mixers) but add some digital frequency stabilization that is
now easy and cheap to do. For the single conversion mixer use
one of the +17dBm or higher level mixers that are readily
available. The stabilization and digital readout parts aside
such a radio would still be very much "traditional" in design
and practice. And I'm sure it could be made to perform very
well and not be terribly expensive to build either. It would
even make a nice analog RF front end for a DSP IF based radio
where all the DSP work is done on a generic PC.

> But on the other hand, most of us have not only
> one, but several
> computers setting around us not being utilized to their
> fullest.      There
> is one group that is currently building a 40 meter receiver
> that cost less
> than $40, but is connected to your computer to run.

It will be interesting to see how that project plays out;
I've been following its progress with interest. I've also
been experimenting with an off the shelf board from Expanded
Spectrum Systems that can do both RX and TX (1dBm or so power
level) that cost only $170 built ($135 kit). It just needs a
LO source of some kind or a crystal to play. I tinker with it
from time to time as a 9MHz to audio I/Q mixer for some DSP
IF experiments with a Corsair, the results have been
intriguing. I really do need to get more serious about that
project. Might be able put it to truly practical use, my
lash-ups so far haven't been terribly practical.

> Besides, I don't think that most would like to pay the
> price to have a
> Corsair, OMNI D built in today's world.  The cost to
> manufacture these
> today would be several thousand dollars.

For an exact same design for sure. But as I noted above I do
really believe that a basic analog only radio can still be
built today pretty inexpensively by using modern versions of
basic components.

Duane
N9DG