Re: [TenTec] Reflector is getting effective at killing sales

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Reflector is getting effective at killing sales
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 09:34:56 -0500
> If TT were to follow up on every picky comment on this
> reflector they would never have the time to build radios.  In
> case people don't know they are in business to make a profit.

Ten-tec makes a good radio.  The Orion ended up a good radio.  The Orion II
is a good radio.

The v1 Orion had some well known problems and that's in part why there is
now a v2 code base.  In the process of reinventing the wheel, some of the
best features of v1 DSP code were dumped in favor of the designer-du-jour's
view of how things should be done "better" or at least differently.  There
have been no white papers from the new architect explaining what was done
and why, or what's different, along the lines of the things Smith published
on the v1 Orion.

Maybe the problem is that some of us who are long time Orion owners,
expected v2/II to be a "better" Orion.  Why else would I have sunk another
$1800+ net to upgrade to a II?  It wasn't for the color display, and it
wasn't because the v1 Orion wasn't a good radio in the end.  I wasn't
expecting a new radio with "improved" algorithms that result in reduced
performance in some key areas. In most ways, the Orion II is a fantastic
radio.  In some important ways, it's been diddled with and screwed up, with
real bugs, and not just performance gripes, that have been languishing
unfixed since the first release.  And yes, I recognize that it takes time.

You can call it what you want, but I don't find it the least bit "picky" to
discuss the performance of either Orion version.

Grant/NQ5T