Re: [TenTec] K4VUD & Titan 425

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] K4VUD & Titan 425
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 19:49:12 -0400
I don't know about the rant, but the technical problem seems to be the
voltage rating of the ceramic disk capacitors used to bypass RF on the HV,
which are located on the meter shunt board.  IIRC the original caps are
rated at 3 kV, which is fairly close to the working DC voltage.  Mine blew
up because they were too close to the chassis, and I could see the burn
marks where the arc happened.  I replaced the caps with 6 kV units and have
had no problem after 6-7 years.  Charles mentioned that he will be using 10
kV caps which will give him an extra measure of safety.

         Ron N6IE
      www.N6IE.com