Re: [TenTec] K4VUD & Titan 425

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] K4VUD & Titan 425
From: "David J Windisch" <davidjw@cinci.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 21:01:13 -0400
How did they get away with the plate bypasses so far away from the cold end
of the rf choke, and the cold end of the rf choke so close to the plate
tank?  Luck?

Make sure that teflon-tubed wire from the hot end of the plate choke to the
plates is nowhere near the choke windings.  Mine arced, melted the ptfe, and
burned the choke windings.

Open up the power supply and make sure the resistors across the caps are all
the same value, 150K for all but one in mine.  It was 150 ohms, not 150K.
It survived the cap with which it was paralleled.  The resistor was taking
the startup-current surge and repeated I x R spikes finally took out the
cap.

It might be well to parallel the traces to the soft-start resistor with #14
wire.  Mine vaporized with an outstanding BANG.

Now that I'm aware of the soft spots, I can buy the next 425 with
confidence, as long as the tubes are good ;o)

73 Dave N3HE