Re: [TenTec] TVI 95% Shield

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TVI 95% Shield
From: Rick Denney <rick@rickdenney.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 22:26:09 -0400
Ken Scheper writes...

> I only shared with them the possibilities of RFI.  Of course, then it'll be
> my fault.  I told them they need to be prepared to purchase RFI filters.
> "How can your **** hobby cost us money?"  I just stated that it's a
> possibilitiy, and that they need to get the best equipment they can to
> minimize the impact.

Now that you've spilled the beans and they are challenging you on it,
tell them that your hobby is legally sanctioned and licensed, and it
would be no different if they lived next-door to an AM broadcast
station. They won't buy that, either, but at least they might start to
accept it.

But I suspect it won't be that big a deal and I wouldn't mention it
again until it's a problem. There's no way for them to follow your
advice and buy good stuff--who's to say which TV stuff on the market
might be more impervious to RFI? But the new stuff is digital, which
means that unless the interference destroys the digital stream, it
should be able to recover without them seeing much of it. And if it
does cause a problem, it won't look like snow, and it definitely won't
be giving them any artifacts from your modulation. It will be just
like DirecTV when the clouds overhead are too thick.

Just as the digital modes can pull signals out of the noise more
effectively than our ears can pull analog signals out of the noise,
the digital TV signals will be more effective in noisy environments,
if they are able to get the signal at all. And the frequencies are
further away from the HF bands.

As for me, I hide my antennas in the trees and keep quiet about it
with my neighbors. What they don't know won't hurt them. But I'm
extremely fortunate to live where such seclusion is possible.

Rick, KR9D