[TenTec] My First Ten-Tec

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] My First Ten-Tec
From: "Kris Merschrod" <Kris@merschrod.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 15:13:21 -0400
I came to know Ten-Tec through a good friend KV1A (SK). He had Ten-Tec gear
and spoke highly of the rigs.  He also received my signals from overseas an
patched me into the family.  My rig was (I still have it) a Drake TR-4CW/rit
that I carried all over South and Central America.

In the early-1990s a new assignment in Ecuador came through. It involved
five field stations with radios on non-ham frequencies.  I finally had the
excuse that I'd been waiting for.  I'd looked at Tec-Tec and Cubic rigs over
the years for remote locations.  Being a QRP nut the Argonaut II kept
catching my eye when looking at the Ten-Tec literature; the Jones filter was
a gem of an idea.  I had to be practical - phone patches to the States,
making sure I could reach the field stations all added up to 100watts - the
Ten-Tec Delta II was the right rig, and I could reduce power for those QRP
sprints.  Most important of all was that with the push of two buttons it
worked off the ham bands (Years later that put me onto the 60 Meter Band!).
That is how I came to buy my first Ten-Tec. A second hand Centaur Amp came
my way.  I also have an Argonaut V  that I bought second hand - another gem
that I bring with me here and there.  It was mentioned by John K4AVX it a
few threads back - was lightening or static damaged, but who needs an SWR
meter or variable output when you can just set a pot inside at QRP?  They
listen well.   That is the Ten-Tec station at KM2KM.  Of course I have had
great communication with Ten-Tec over the years.

Kris