[TenTec] Ten-Tec Marketing (?) + Ten-Tec "FIRSTS"

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Marketing (?) + Ten-Tec "FIRSTS"
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 08:39:51 +0200
Jim, this is a reply to your post but I changed the subject, so that we can
keep the "first ten-tec" thread homogeneous.

I helped launch Ten-Tec here in Germany in 2004.
Scott came over and gave a presentation in Friedrichshafen.
In that process, I did some research and put together a list of Ten-Tec's
"Firsts":

  . First all solid state 5-band SSB/CW transceiver (Argonaut, 1971)

  . First 100 watt solid state HF transceiver (Triton, 1975)

  . First legal limit solid state HF amp (Hercules, 1980)

  . Pioneered tunable crystal filters (Delta II, 1990)

  . First HF transceiver with built-in DSP (Omni-VI 1992)

  . First software defined HF receiver (RX-320, 1998)

  . First Flash-ROM upgradeable HF transceiver (Pegasus 1999)

  . First selectable I-F roofing filter transceiver (Orion 2003)

SO WITH ALLTHOSE FIRSTS, it's even more astonishing that TEN-TEC never had
more success than they had.

The German Ten-Tec distributor (DL6LAU) is a very good friend of mine.  I
know what he is selling.  He was originally only selling Ten-Tec radios,
plus antennas from several European antenna manufacturers (including us).
In the meantime he has added FLEX Radio and most recently Elecraft to his
portfolio.  THE FACT IS, he is selling 5x as many Flex radios as Ten-Tec
radios.  In each case he has the exclusive selling rights for Germany
(except for Elecraft).

Clearly there is no market "pull" in demand for Ten-Tec radios.
If that's the case, then the company needs to implement a market "push"
plan.
Ten-Tec has failed to do that.  They have not created that "I've got to have
it" image like others have done.

ONE BIG MISTAKE Ten-Tec made was in 2008, DL6LAU (the German TT distributor)
organized the VP6DX (Ducie Island) DX-pedition. He was unable to get Ten-Tec
to sponsor him with Orions, but Eric jumped at the opportunity and supplied
the entire team with K3's.  The K3 was brand new then, and the VP6DX
expedition success helped the K3 gain recognition as a great DX-pedition
radio.  It currently dominates that market segment.

PRESENCE at major ham radio events and sponsoring of major DX-pedition goes
a long ways in gaining market recognition.
It also falls under the category of "marketing".
Since Ten-Tec has a direct-sales approach, no resellers, it is especially
important to have local presence at events.

I hope they continue to stay in business, and as long as they do, I will use
their radios.

73
Rick, DJ0IP