Re: [TenTec] TEN-TEC announces new amplifier

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TEN-TEC announces new amplifier
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 12:14:28 +0200
James, now the big question:

  "does the radio like you?"

;-)

Rick, DJ0IP

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces@contesting.com [mailto:tentec-bounces@contesting.com]
On Behalf Of Richards
Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2012 12:08 PM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment

It's kinda funny.  While my TT Omni VII was in the shop (a self-inflicted
wound, I toasted a receiver diode hot-swapping an active receiver antenna...
doh!) -  I purchased a Kenwood TS-590s, as a backup rig.  Why not an Eagle?
Because it does has certain features I really want, which Eagle does not
have, and receiver specs on both are an even dead heat.

Now, hear me out...don't jump me just yet...

The funny part is, now that my Omni VII has been fixed and returned, I
almost never turn the 590s on.   I made my own SO2R mic-headphone-PTT
switch, but I almost never use it, either - I just hook up the Omni VII and
that's it.

Now, the 590s might actually have a better NR than my Omni VII... but the
Omni VII has such a quiet, effective receiver, it has way easier user
interface, its controls are easier to access under fire  (come on... you
know how sometimes you are in a big HURRY to make an adjustment... you wanna
adjust bandwidth,  use the notch filter,  adjust PBT,  add the pre-amp,
whatever... come on ... you can be in a hurry when you wanna catch that
fleeting DX  station before the band fades or before the pileup build to a
frenzy,  or simply when it is your turn in the weekly roundtable net, and
you don't wanna look like a dweeb by asking for a moment to adjust your
radio... come on... we have have all
been there more than once ...   AND when I am there, I automatically
turn to the Omni VII, - not that there is anything wrong with the 590s... I
just find myself turning the Omni VII more often than not.

And I think that is the point.  I like using it.   I like having it.  I
like the service I have gotten after the sale.

Now, to be fair, Kenwood has been super on the ball about fixing bugs, and
revising hardware specifications in quick response to problems ...
it has a good track record for this being a new radio...  but, shoot, as
good as that has been, there is NOTHING like being able to call the
manufacturer and talk directly with the chief service technician, or talking
directly with John Henry, and getting the straight poop directly
from HQ.   And, I like buying American and putting my neighbors to work.

My first post on the Omni VII discussion group received two types of
response I will never forget.   Some guys flamed and poked fun at me
because I was a rookie ham.  Others, some of whom are on this list, posted
helpful, insightful comments.

BUT THE BEST RESPONSE CAME FROM JOHN HENRY, himself, who said I was RIGHT
and  nearly OVERNIGHT PRODUCED A NEW FIRMWARE RELEASE  addressing
my concern.   Yeah...man... that was cool, and not just because my
question was so clearly validated, but because the company cared enough to
address the problem practically overnight.

So, yeah... YOUR TenTec service mileage may vary - but mine has been
pretty darned good.   And I like using the radio.   I sound good on the
air, it has a great receiver,  and when I take it to the contest
station, other guys wanna use it !    We used an identical Omni VII to
place First in a couple of big categories in the CQ WW 160m contest. So,
yeah... I am liking this TT experience.   If that makes me a "groupie"
then that is OK.   Whatever.   I am a happy customer, in any case.

Just My take...