Re: [TenTec] Omni VII Speech Processor Question

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VII Speech Processor Question
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 03:54:22 -0400
Interesting -

        Stan at TenTec HQ says the Omni VII built-in
        speech compressor uses "AF Based"  compression.

And... yet...

Page 31 of my owner's manual states:

        "The speech processor used in the Omni VII is a
        DSP generated RF compressor.  ... RF Compression
        raises the average output power... with a digitally
        generated RF speech processor... we have the
        advantage of calculating the RF envelope before
        modulation is performed..."

Page 38 Specifications says:

        "Speech Processor:  RF compression,  0-9 adjustment."

So... perhaps one might understand how I came to wonder about this. The phrases, "DSP generated RF compression" and "RF compression" do not exactly sound like "AF compression" to me.

;-)

Parenthetically... I paid my dues and purchased the Model 715 when it first came out. I was just wondering if it was redundant, if the Omni VII function was, in fact, RF-based at it sounded (to me, anyway) in the owner's manual.

THANKS AND HAPPY TRAILS.