Re: [TenTec] OCF antennas evolution

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OCF antennas evolution
From: k6jek <k6jek@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 18:32:54 -0700
Mike,

You're matching the antenna system, the antenna and the feed line. You just
can't separate the two. When the antenna impedance at a particular frequency is
different from the feed line characteristic impedance, the impedance on the
line is different every place on the line.  You're matching whatever it happens
to be at the shack end of the feed line.

Losses are the reason to put the balun near the station instead of near the
antenna. Open wire line has much lower losses than coax under conditions of
very high SWR. That's the reason we put up with the stuff which is a royal pain
in the arse, just so we can have a ridiculous SWR and not care about it. And
very high SWR is exactly what we have at almost all frequencies when using a
doublet  as a multi-band antenna. The only reason we can get away with such a
thing is the low loss of open wire line. So you want to run that stuff as far
as you can before switching to coax. As long as you can is ideally right into a
balanced tuner, no balun at all.

Jon