Re: [TenTec] Field day antennas

To: k9yc@arrl.net, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Field day antennas
From: John Bescher via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 17:50:50 -0400
My club of 150 members, a lot of 2 m repeater hams, seem to have a lot of older
rigs, which, of course they want to use for Field Day.

The opposite seems also to be true: the hams who have the newest rigs do not
want to risk damage lugging them to Field Day or having 'strangers' operate
them.

Is there a way, besides on site testing, to tell whether a rig is suitable for
multiple station Field Day?

I presume Orion II is ok but that falls into the category of not wanting it get
scratched up or knocked around for Field Day.  I was going to use a Tentec
Eagle for the GOTA station, easy to operate and fairly simple with a half
decent front end.  My backup is an old but reliable Icom 735...but that's
ancient, full of scratches, a hardened veteran of many Field Days and probably
not much of a front end.

Maybe I can look up some of the specs on the transceivers that members are
offering for Field Day....should I look for anything special to eliminate the
major interference offenders?

I guess there would be two issues: impure transmitting signals and permissive
receiving front ends.

Sure wish I had a dozen K3's for Field Day, but that's not in the offering.

John Bescher, N4DXI