Re: [TenTec] Field day antennas

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Field day antennas
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 15:48:20 -0700
On Tue,4/14/2015 2:50 PM, John Bescher via TenTec wrote:
Is there a way, besides on site testing, to tell whether a rig is suitable for
multiple station Field Day?

Yes. Study my summary of ARRL Lab Tests of the TX cleanliness of a dozen or so medium to high priced modern rigs.

k9yc.com/TXNoise.pdf

Look for rigs with very low TX phase noise in the wide plots. I haven't added the new Flex 6000-series rigs yet, but the 6500 and 6700 are good performers for phase noise. Also study Rob Sherwood's comparison of receivers for handling strong signals.

http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

Phase noise is that "rushing" sound you hear off frequency when a strong signal is being keyed. Both TX and RX have it -- we hear it because the other guy is TXing it, and also because our RX contributes its own phase noise. :) You want rigs that score well both ways.

73, Jim K9YC