Re: [TowerTalk] permit in hand

To: bill rubin <brubin2010@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] permit in hand
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 16:07:13 -0700
bill rubin wrote:
> Well I finally got the permit for a 90' tower. But not without issues and
> additional expense.   My local zoning office  seems to believe that Rohn's
> specs. or TIA-222 standard are not good enough. nor is a PE Stamp on a
> letter saying the design provide is complaint.  They required each page of
> the spec. have a PE Stamp.
>
> Cost $250
>
> Fedex info 3 times about $50
>
> Also my site plan needed a surveyors stamp.  A retired surveyor came out
> looked. measured my house to road and driveway and said ok
>
> Cost $100.
>
> Additional Cost to project $400
>
> Was it excessive per PRB-1, yes as far as i am concerned,

And this is where "reasonable men may differ"...  The authorities think
that those costs are reasonable.  Just out of curiosity, say you wanted
to add a room onto your house or build a free standing garage, what
would the engineering review and permitting costs be?  Don't forget,
they're looking at it from the standpoint of "how much does it cost
relative to the value of the job".. a few hundred dollars on a $10,000
job is only a few percent, and $10K for a tower, footings, erection,
etc., probably isn't too far out of line (within a factor of 2 one way
or another).

but to fight it it
> would have cost me more than $400 in legal fees and more time on the project
> with winter months ahead.

Exactly.. and they know it.

Jim, W6RMK