Re: [TowerTalk] permit in hand

To: bill rubin <brubin2010@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] permit in hand
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 16:23:23 -0700
bill rubin wrote:
> You missed the point it was not the additional cost that it was excessive,
> it was the fact that then need a stamp on each page of the spec.  I have a
> PE stamped letter from Rohn that said per design 45G90110, and I walk them
> through the spec showing how it was cross referenced.  That was not good
> enough for them. They want a stamp on each page.
>
> So why would they need a stamp on each page ?  The letter from Rohn with the
> stamp referencing the spec was good enough !  What margin of safety is a by
> having a stamp on each page ?  What value is have a PE stamp when the
> manufacture is TIA-222 compliant ?

Different jurisdictions have different laws and regulations regarding
what is required.  To address the specific issues, I'll speculate:
1) Why not just a letter that stamped? In California, at least, anything
that a P.E. seals has to have been prepared under their direct
supervision. I can look at somebody else's plans and provide you with a
report or evaluation that I can seal, but I can't stamp their plans.  My
report might say, "The attached plans appear to conform to XYZ", but
unless I redid all the analysis and calculation, it's not the same. And,
if I did all the analysis, all the plans save me is the time of actually
doing the drawing and writing, which is a small part of the engineering
job.  As K8IA said, if your P.E. did all that for $250, you got a great
deal.

2) why need a stamp at all?  The locals aren't concerned only about the
structural integrity of the tower, but also the installation of it.
What they are concerned about is stuff like whether the concrete
footings are properly designed for your local soil conditions, and
whether any local circumstances have been properly accounted for.
TIA-222 just tells you generalized requirements.  To set up a comparable
but more extreme scenario: Compare architect's plans for a house vs the
lumber yard certifying that the studs really are 1.5x3.5 inches and made
of Douglas Fir. Or, saying only that you'll use UL listed appliances.

Jim Lux, W6RMK (California P.E.)