Re: [TowerTalk] Old Safety Belt

To: towertalk@contesting.com, w9ac@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Old Safety Belt
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 13:51:26 EST

In a message dated 2/3/2009 9:02:17 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>> "OTOH I wrote tower climbing  columns in both the NCJ and  the defunct
CQ Contest magazine for a total of over  10 years. I'm  hoping to reprint all
of them in an upcoming book."

>   Wow.  At a minimum, I would ensure that a disclaimer is conspicuously
posted
in each and every column highlighted in red, bolded, blocked, and
italicized.

    Well, that's one way to look at it. Those columns  (and this very
reflector) have never had any sort of disclaimer so it  apparently wasn't
needed.
(Lawyers out there feel free to chime  in.)

>  The last thing you want is someone to use "how to"  information in
reliance
to their detriment.  While you may have an  adequate defense, being haled
into court is the last thing anyone needs,  even if you're certain you don't
owe a duty.

    What's "owe a duty"?

    What about any other advice column in newspapers,  on the web, on radio
and tv, etc.? They don't have disclaimers. I think  we're pretty much adults
here and can assume responsibility for our actions.

OTOH where would we be without TowerTalk? Many of  us would still be doing
uninformed and potentially dangerous tower  work and installations and that
WOULD be to our detriment. The reason I  started TT years ago was to help keep
people out of trouble and I think it's  done a good job of that.

>  Generally, instructional services  like ComTrain won't release
safety-related
information without  enrollment.

    That's because they have a financial interest in  their training,
curriculum and certification. You can go to the OSHA website  and get all the
rules
and techniques you want for free as well as lots of  other places on the
internet. BTW ComTrain sells a bunch of  books relevant to tower climbing that
you
CAN buy.

>  Proper technique up on a tower needs more than just a review  in a
magazine column.

You mean someone shouldn't be writing  about it and then you shouldn't read
it? That makes no sense at all.

I agree that we live in a litigious society and  also that we should all do
our homework before embarking on any sort of  journey or project. Which means
that basically we have to read about it.

    BTW in my upcoming DIY tower book, per my  attorney's advice there is one
sentence in the forward regarding the  disclaimer about tower climbing being
a dangerous activity. It doesn't have to  be in bold on every page.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH
and