Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Hustler 6-BTV installation

To: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Hustler 6-BTV installation
From: "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@att.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 09:15:25 -0400
Please take a careful look at what HyGain and Cushcraft do for their AV-640 and R6000

They use a 3/8 wavelength radiator for the low bands and have 3/8 wavelength stubs attached just above the feedpoint for the high bands.

I use the AV-640 and it is a whopping success. Don't get me wrong, I use yagis also. But there have been a few times that I needed to use the vertical on high bands and I was pleased with it.

The takeoff angle for 3/8 wave is lower than 1/4 wave. The antenna has a fixed matching unit to match 50 ohm line to 200 ohm antenna. Works on all bands. Never had any problem with RF in the shack using it. I think there is also a RF choke in the matching box. And you do not need to command the box to perform a match. It is always a match from 50 to 200 ohms.

They also now make versions that include 80 meters but it is a narrow bandwidth on 80. So, you adjust the antenna for the band segment of interest, CW or Dig or SSB segments.

Best Regards
Dan Schaaf

K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com
-----Original Message----- From: Jim Lux