Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Hustler 6-BTV installation

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Hustler 6-BTV installation
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2014 22:43:56 -0400
On 4/8/2014 8:43 PM, Tom Osborne wrote:
On 4/8/2014 4:25 AM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
I just read the Joel Hallas, W1ZR article - "The 43 foot vertical monopole - What's the magic?". It was very interesting! The coax losses are worse
than I imagined, up to 8dB though 100 feet of RG-213, and as my model
showed the radiation is very high above 20m.  Certainly a relay to
electrically shorten the antenna would help 15m and 10m.

John KK9A

I always wondered why someone would pay $400- $500 for a '43 foot vertical' when you can hang about $1.50 worth of wire in a tree and do the same thing.

Or buy the material and build your own. They are a fairly simple antenna plus matching network.

I do not like trap verticals. I had very good results with the AV640 on 40 meters through six. On 40, one day it'd beat the half wave, center fed sloper and on other days the sloper would win.

The trap verticals never won.

We had one of those for FD and it was not a very good antenna.

With radials, I'd have expected it would do well on 40 and 75 although the range on FD is a bit short for the vertical. Here, both the slopers and AV640 worked better for DX, although the slopers worked fairly well beyond 600 - 800 miles. I didn't spend a lot of time on 75, but worked the world at the last cycle low. The sloper on 75 worked well into Europe.

73

Roger (K8RI)

73
Tom W7WHY