[WriteLog] Can't create packet OLE Automation Object.

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Can't create packet OLE Automation Object.
From: bjorn@timebandits.org (Bjorn Bergheim)
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 09:49:31 +0100
Lets pretend I don't want DXTelnet. What do I do to get the writelog packet
window with the menu?

The manual says: Just use the File Telnet command and type in the.... see below

Telnet

As an alternative to a TNC connected to a Packet Cluster, WriteLog supports
connecting to any of the Packet Clusters available on the internet as telnet
connections.

Just use the File Telnet command and type in the name of the telnet node (or
its IP address) to make the connection. You will have to keep your internet
connection up as long as you want to send or receive packet spots, of course.
The standard Port number for telnet is 23, which is how WriteLog initializes
its prompt. If the telnet node you want operates on a nonstandard port number,
you can type it into the dialog.

This is what the manual says about OBJECTS when packet window is mentioned:

WriteLog.pkt Object

The Packet capabilities in WriteLog are provided through an OLE automation
object of class writelog.pkt. This object provides the following methods:

SendSpot(SpotMessage)
         Sends SpotMessage to the connected TNC
SetWlObject(WLObject)
           The packet window may use the WLObject to check dupes, or any other
calls on the WriteLog.document object.

If you are a programmer, you can replace the packet object and have WriteLog
use yours instead of its own. The ProgId WriteLog uses to create its packet
object is stored in the WRITELOG.INI file [OBJECTS] section using the
keyword "pktObject". If you modify the line in writelog.ini to name the ProgId
of some other object, WriteLog will create it on a Tools Packet View...
command. Your object must provide the two OLE automation methods as above,
SendSpot, and Activate.
Eh?

I usually have no problem setting up software but this packet thing with
writelog seems unnecessary complicated. I still feel something is missing in my
installation.

Program folder contains 167 files. 2 of them are updated by the program all the
time.

This is what my writelog.ini looks like. I renamed it writelog.txt so you can
view it in your browser.
http://www.timebandits.org/lacc/writelog.ini/WriteLog.txt

Regards Bjorn