[AMPS] 50~ vs 60~ ???

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 50~ vs 60~ ???
From: phil@vaxxine.com (Phil (VA3UX))
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 20:38:32 -0400
At 09:46 AM 6/12/2001 +1200, Barry Kirkwood wrote:

>I am no guru on transformers, but would be surprised if 50-60 Hz shift
>needed anything like 30% more iron for equal performance.
>Is there someone on the reflector who has transformer design tables/software
>that has primary supply frequency as a variable and can give us an answer?
>73

I've designed and built a few Barry.  Text e-mail doesn't lend itself to
presenting the equations in a readable form.  But it really isn't needed in
this case.  The iron difference is simply the ratio of the frequencies :
60/50 in this case. Therefore a 50 Hz transformer need 20% more iron than a
60 Hz transformer, if the flux density, magnetizing current and number of
turns are to be kept constant between the two designs. This statement is
good for two frequencies that are as close as 50 & 60 Hz.  There are other
complications when the frequency spread increases, and when the frequency
itself is considerably higher.  So, if you build a transformer for 50 Hz,
it's automatically good for 60 Hz.

Phil