[AMPS] 50~ vs 60~ ???

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 50~ vs 60~ ???
From: bjk@ihug.co.nz (Barry Kirkwood)
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 08:35:17 +1200
Hi Paul et al:
We have been down this track on this reflector before.
50Hz at 230 or thereabout volts is the common mains supply in the UK,
Australia, New Zealand and quite a lot  of other places.
It is very rare to have significant problems with transformers rated for
60Hz and rated less then 2kVA or so when used on 50Hz.
To my knowledge Henry 2Ks, SB220s etc perforrm on 50Hz with the greatest of
ease. The Drake L series power supplies get hot, but I believe they do so on
60Hz, too, being a pathetic design and out of character with the Drake
tradition.
Stuff about needing 30% more iron is not based on fact.
If one has equipment where there is a key component eg a tuned choke which
is specific to 60Hz then of course there will be problems unless the system
is retuned.
To run a tuned choke supply on a different frequency means that the power
supply voltage will soar and regulation will be lost.
Operating the amp at the then available max will quite likely result in
overload of the entire system and the weakest link will probably fail.
In the case cited the part that failed was the power transformer, but the
fault was not the 50hz supply but the high vacuum between the ears of the
appliance operator who just plugged it in and blasted away without checking
to see what the plate voltage was doing.
We all make mistakes, but the serious mistakes are the ones we do not learn
from.
73

end
Barry Kirkwood PhD ZL1DD