Re: [Amps] 3-500Z plate durability

To: "R. Measures" <r@somis.org>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500Z plate durability
From: jsb@digistar.com
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:03:29 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, R. Measures wrote:

> >I read that the heat generated by the kinetic energy of electrons hitting
> >the plates is what creates the heat (not the plate current),
>
> ** Electron movement is "plate"/anode current.

Okay - I had read it the wrong way then.  I read it as though the energy
striking the plate (and not the movement through it) was creating the
heat.  I wasn't totally sure about that.

> >Do 3-500Z tubes get "soft" or do they just suddenly drop output and fail?
>
> ** All thoriated-tungsten tubes gradually loose emission as the carbon
> in the filament's tungsten-dicarbide surface layer is used up while the
> filament is lit .

Wow - so regardless of transmitting or any other use, while the filament
is lit, the clock is ticking?  Ouch.  How long does the 3-500Z
tungsten-dicarbide surface layer last?  5,000 hours?  That's only 208
days, not taking into account the cycling of powering on and off the
filament.  I used to leave my old Drake gear on for a couple days at a
time to avoid cycling the filaments - that's disappointing if I have to
weigh the differences between cycling the filament (which to me is pretty
bad for it) or leaving them lit for 48 hours at a time, etc.

> >And do they fail because of high grid current causing the grid to warp and
> >short or because of some other reason?
>
> ** 3-500Zs can fail from a sudden burst of grid-current during an
> intermittent VHF parasitic-oscillation, but only if the Pi-network tank
> is of a low pass design so that the VHF energy being generated can not
> escape to the antenna.  In this case, the burst of grid-current from the
> unloaded condition can cause the unsupported center of the 3-500Z
> filament/cathode to be bent sideways by the perpindicular EMF and touch
> the grid-cage.  [see photo in September/October 1990 *QST*, "Parasitics
> Revisited"]

I thought all "proper" modern amplifier designs were geared to eliminate
VHF from ever making it beyond the amplfier chassis.

thanks,
Jason