[Amps] Tuned power transformer

To: AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Tuned power transformer
From: Angel Vilaseca <avilaseca@bluewin.ch>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 10:38:59 +0200
Hi,

I am taking apart an old HV power supply made in the late '40s, probably
in Germany. From its size, the power transformer should be rated for
approximately 1 KW. It has an HV secondary winding 800-0-800 Volts and
two 12 V for filaments. It has a vacuum rectifier.

It has tuned chokes and I also found that a 10 uF cap is wired across
the primary winding of the power transformer.

So I guess that this must be a tuned-primary power trnsformer. I never
saw this before. How does this work? What are the properties of a
tuned-primary power transformer? Does it prevent current inrush at
power-on like a tuned choke?

Of course, I will replace the vacuum rectifier with solid-state diodes.
Should I leave the 10 uF cap acros ethe primary or remove it?

Angel Vilaseca HB9SLV