Re: [Amps] Ameritron Amps

To: Gudguyham@aol.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron Amps
From: mike kendall <ke6cvh@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 10:01:40 -0700 (PDT)
OK,
    Now an email about my ALS-600.  I just took it apart as I am motivated to
finally get around to replacing the relay with a Gigavac.  Upon taking it apart
(for the first time) I heard something rattling around inside it.  When I took
it apart, I saw a U shaped piece of wire with a cold solder joint on one end,
ugh!  Upon further inspection, I was relieved to see it was just a jumper
accross the 35ohm power divider resistor and I am lucky nothing shorted out.
    I think I will go with a Gigavac "G12SP Ham".  It has a rated make time of
15ms and break time of 9ms.  Any comments on wether this will still "hotswitch"
would be most welcome.  I use an Icom706MKIIG with it and have not a clue the
rise time of the transmit envelope or the miniture relay times inside of it. It
looks like it will barely fit inside.  They have another relay with 6ms on/off
times but it is SPST. Here is a link for the Gigavac:
  http://www.gigavac.com/products/relays/ham/index.htm
  Best Regards,
  Mike Kendall