Re: [Amps] Class A for AM

To: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>,"'KA5MIR'" <ars.ka5mir@gmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Class A for AM
From: "Jim Tonne" <tonne@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 22:00:00 -0500
> . . . the dissipation would be 6000 watts minus power
>  out for any given output power.

I have to share with you guys a comment from a fellow
at a major broadcast equipment manufacturer (located
in Dallas, Texas).

We were chatting about a circa 1970 screen-modulated
AM rig.  Those things are also "efficiency-modulated"
and so operate at about the same efficiency as a pure
linear amplifier.  We were talking about a 10 kW
carrier output AM rig.

He made the interesting statement that "to keep the thing
cool you either modulate hell out of it or shut it off",
which statement I found fascinating!

- JimT