Re: [CQ-Contest] Another gratuitous SS-CW trick

To: "Steve London" <n2ic@arrl.net>,"CQ-Contest" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>,"N1ND Dan" <dhenderson@arrl.org>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Another gratuitous SS-CW trick
From: "K0HB " <k-zero-hb@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 01:29:52 -00
I wrote:

>> In the final hour I tune all the open bands and populate
>> my bandmap with all the rare-mult stations who are
>> 'holding a spot' for the opening bell, and in the first
>>  15 minutes or so of the contest I work that bandmap...

N2IC responds:

> However, ethically, this is as inappropriate as listening during an
> off-time.

Interesting notion (I disagree, but it's still interesting).

Let's take this a step further then.

B4 the SS phone weekend I populate a "mental bandmap" with the Sunday
QTR/QRG of several state traffic nets (WY/KS/ND/MT/DE) so that if these
mults are absent from my log at noon Sunday, I possibly snag a cooperative
traffic-handler to fill a hole in my sweep.  In other words, I go into the
contest knowing where a certain mult is likely available.  How is this
conceptually different than building a bandmap of the "placeholders with
desireable mults" in the hour preceeding the opening bell?

N1ND, what sayest thou?

73, de Hans, K0HB
---
  http://www.earthlink.net/~k0hb