Re: [CQ-Contest] Physical conditioning and contesting

To: <py8azt@amazon.com.br>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Physical conditioning and contesting
From: "Russell Hill" <rustyhill@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 10:43:07 -0600
Good Morning, Luc-- this is from Rusty, na5tr, who started the thread about antenna height.

Fundamentally, I agree with you. With my antenna height, I would not be in the category I have suggested.

We have a problem here in the U.S. More and more people are forced by economics and availability of housing to live in areas where antennas are very limited, even though in many cases the houses are quite expensive, nice houses. Basically, almost all new houses for the past 30 or so years have been built in subdivisions with deed restrictions which severely limit antenna height, or these days prohibit external antennas entirely. There are fewer and fewer amateurs who are able to own a house where they can legally put up a decent antenna, while more and more amateurs are legally prevented from putting up good antennas. At the same time more and more communities are passing laws which limit antennas. (This is legal here in the U.S.)

If an amateur wishes to put up a large or even decent sized antenna, he needs buy a piece of land out in the county, not in a subdivision, and build a house, or live in an older part of a city where there are no deed restrictions because the houses were all built before deed restrictions became popular. If he wishes to buy a house less than 30 years old, and live in a neighbrhood near schools and stores, then he will only be able to buy a house with deed restrictions preventing good antennas.

I have a place in the country with a nice house. I have a 72 ft crankup with a 20 ft mast on top. (That is not a big tower, but it suits my needs.) I have the option of putting up a bigger tower, and more antennas. Most amateurs do not.

I am concerned that the number of serious contesters will decline. The statistics say the average age of amateurs in the U.S. is getting older. The percentage of U.S. citizens who are active amateurs is declining. I believe that having a category for amateurs who cannot have good antennas will perhaps keep some in the hobby who would otherwise walk away. I would hate to see contesting die out due to lack of participation.

QRP, LP and HP categories are all well and good, but if the only thing a guy can put up is an "invisible" dipole at 30 ft, no matter how good an operator he is, he is simply at a big handicap.

Thanks for reading this, Luc. I have tried to give you some insight as to the thinking behind the idea of a limited height category.

73,
Rusty

----- Original Message ----- From: "Luc, PY8AZT" <py8azt@amazon.com.br>