Re: [RTTY] Two NA Sprint Questions

To: <w0yk@msn.com>, <david@levinecentral.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Two NA Sprint Questions
From: Dan N9XX <dan.n9xx@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 10:48:59 -0500
>> My second question is that I had 4 stations work me that had
>> previously worked me and I'm wondering why. The rules state
>> you can only work the same station once per band. It could be
>> that they were just putting their call sign out there
>> thinking it was the other station that was previously on the
>> frequency when it was me or it could be that they thought it
>> was ok to work me again? I used N1MM and it said it was dupe
>> as soon as the callsign was entered or it showed on the band
>> map or the digital window. Is other software not updated to
>> indicate a station was already worked in this contest? I
>> worked all 4 stations again and then QSYed.  The down side is
>> I didn't get to a work a new station.
>
> This is most likely due to those 4 stations not knowing that the "legal
> dupe" rule was eliminated a year ago.  ;>)  I would ignore them for one
> round of CQ and if they persist and cover up all other stations calling,
> then I just quickly worked them and moved on.  It was faster than starting
> dialogue about the rules.  This also inflated my serial number as the
> contest played out, making others think I was doing better than I really
> was, hi!

Ahhhh, this might explain why my old, unupdated version of WriteLog (10.42c)
would not indicate that a given station was a potential dupe.  With only 15
QSO within 25 minutes in my log, it was pretty easy to realize "hey, didn't
I work that guy a few minutes ago?", so no dupes from me.  Kind of perturbed
me at the time, as WriteLog is usually pretty adept at warning about the
dupes.  This software issue (and to some degree operator issue) might
explain the dupes.  In my case, this was my first NA Sprint on RTTY, so this
may have been the case for a few others.

Thanks for the info on the change in rules.  Time to update the software!

Ed, the robot worked OK for me just a few minutes ago.  Thanks for the QSO
too, "Marc".  I take it "Marc" was a tribute, as I heard and worked at least
one other.

Dan N9XX