RE: [TenTec] Can Iambic be used as single Paddle

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Can Iambic be used as single Paddle
From: "NJ0IP" <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 23:08:36 -0700
Man, this one's more interesting than that "Mic" thread.... :-)

I have had one of those Autronic paddles since 1968 when I built a keyer
using RTL logic.  It is indeed my favorite, but in the meantime the Autronic
is relavated to the mobile (RV) because it's heavy and stays put.

I mostly use a Vibraplex, when I'm not using my Shurr, my ETM, or my
"Twinkey" (which is 1"x2" and both paddles go up and down - so that it
doesn't slide back and forth due to its low weight).  And for the handkey
contests I alternate between my old (1962) Bug (NoName, but it has a
Bakelite base and clear plastic cover) and my Bencher "RJ" staight key,
because my original J38 (with Navy Knob and leg strap) which I used in the
Army (1971-74) seems to have shrunk and doesn't fit my leg anymore.

To be honest, it really doesn't matter much to me which one I use because
they're all good.  I don't like the Bencher paddles at all.  Hate using
them.  I can when I must, but it's almost as bad (to me) as running a
Kenwood.

I only use the keyboard when contesting.  It's not very fun but it is
convenient.

I don't have any problem switching back to the old semi-automatic bug
(exclusively for the handkey contests, nothing else) because I never learned
(properly) to squeeze.  If I squeeze, I go slower, not faster.

Clearly the most difficult to use is the Twinkey.  But it has its
undisputable advantages.

Now if you have problems with RF in the shack, there are certainly huge
differences in these keys.
By far the best is the old Bug (no metal anywhere to be touched).  The ETMs
are pretty safe.  The Shurr isn't bad if you hold it high.  The Vibraplex
will bite you once or twice per word ;-)

73
Rick