Re: Fwd: Re: [TowerTalk] N connectors

To: Jim Rhodes <k0xu@iowadsl.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [TowerTalk] N connectors
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 10:48:29 -0700
At 11:44 AM 9/9/2003 -0500, Jim Rhodes wrote:
Ok, Strike #1 off of your list if you use these. They are no more weather proof than a UHF connector.

Nonsense... N connectors have gaskets (if properly assembled) and are weatherproof. For that matter, they pass hermeticity tests for vacuum chambers. We use them at work all the time as bulkhead feedthroughs into vacuum chambers. As to whether the cable to connector interface is weatherproof is more a matter of proper assembly. Check out the datasheet on Amphenol's site. That's not just idle puffery, it's a real spec, and gets tested exhaustively.

No gasket on UHF connectors... not to say that both types can't be assembled and field potted (i.e. wrapped with stuff) to make them weatherproof.

Also, has anybody tested these to see what the impedance really is?

a - That's part of the spec, which says, < 0.15dB loss and VSWR<1.3 from 0-11 GHz
b - In practice, they're a heck of a lot better, if not mistreated. I've measured them numerous times on a calibrated network analyzer. They really are 50 ohms and flat to at least 14 GHz. I've built high precision systems for which changes in loss of 0.01 dB can be detected and they use Type N connectors. (The mate/remate consistency of N connectors isn't all that hot.. You could expect a couple tenths of a dB change each time you mate them, at microwave frequencies, at least, unlike a precision connector such as a APC-7)

I note that the special versions made for corrugated coax (hardline) spec out at 33 dB return loss .. that's about 1.05 VSWR

But, as has been pointed out more times than not, the impedance problem with a UHF connector is probably insignificant at HF frequencies. (just how tightly controlled is the impedance of that coax, anyway.... Belden cites a typical spec of 4% for solid conductor and solid dielectric, and a VSWR for the run of the mill cable of 1.1:1 (due to manufacturing variability in dielectric, etc.)

I did a casual search for any actual measured impedance data for a UHF connector and couldn't find it. Maybe I'll have to scrounge up a suitable network analyzer and try it someday at lunch time.

Not that I haven't used them for jumpers in the shack. But I really wouldn't consider them that much superior to a UHF connector except for impedance (and like I said I wouldn't swear to that without confirmation).

Another advantage of N connectors is that they produce the specified performance when tightened finger tight (re: the discussion a week or so ago about using pliers on UHF connectors) and are available with safety wire holes to keep them fastened in the face of vibration and temperature cycling.