[VHFcontesting] Re: captive rovers

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: captive rovers
From: mcw1wjw9@optonline.net (Warren Walsh)
Date: Tue Jul 29 15:02:13 2003
At 01:08 PM 7/29/2003 -0400, Dennis Hudson wrote:

>On Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003, at 09:55 US/Eastern, dpease@adams.net wrote:
>
>>My limited experience here in the "Black Hole" (even worse in VHF test)
>>with rovers is limited, but all I have heard on are not "captive" and
>>many times provide the only contact in several grids on many bands.  I am
>>thankful to have them out there.
>>
>>Danny  NG9R
>
>Amen
>

>Tree, Jim, Warren etc, what do you guys have against roving? Why are you
>constantly trying to destroy one of the most enjoyable aspects of my
>HOBBY. What you may not realize is all this rover bashing has the
>potential to kill VHF contesting for many of us. We have already been
>assaulted by the new rover rules, for which I replied, "fine I won't turn
>in logs anymore then". Now you want to tell me who I can and can't work
>during a contest? Who the hell do you people think you are? Mind you own
>darn business and work on your own stations. If there are any more rover
>rule changes, we the rovers should be suggesting them. Not a bunch of
>bellyaching good-ole-boys who are too lazy to support the growth of this hobby.

Dennis,
I'm not positive, but I believe you're missing our point.  We WANT you to
continue to rove, but we would also appreciate if ALL the rovers would make
your kind of effort.  Work EVERYONE they hear, not just their mother ship
as it were!  Being part of a Limited (now Unlimited) Multi crew we actively
seek out rovers to work, and try to run the bands with them.

>Try taking a positive attitude at this contesting thing instead of this
>constant bitching.

Well, I may be new to VHF contesting (1995) but not to contesting in
general.  I also feel that asking questions in an open forum is not
complaining and is GOOD, and should be done more often.

>  Look at what some of the large VHF groups have done for the hobby. W2SZ,
> K8GP, N2WK, W3CCX, K3YTL etc. Populated relatively unused bands, taught
> microwave station construction, repair and operating practices to new
> hams, old hams and even potential hams. I now own and operate a very
> capable VHF-SHF station that I have amassed over the years, but it all
> started out by learning from a local VHF group, that has continued to
> guide me and offer help when needed. This type of activity is savior of
> VHF contesting, not the dinosaur attitudes that spews out of this reflector.

I agree, they have helped the hobby grow.

>I try to contact anyone willing to put an effort to make a station capable
>of working me. I've personally handed out some of the final microwave VUCC
>cards to stations like KH6CP(W1VT), VE2JWH, WA1AIM. I try to publish my
>schedule on this reflector and my capabilities are listed with VE2PIJ's
>VHF resource page.

Great!
Why can't the alleged "Captive Rovers" do this?

>So, should I stop activating rare grids because you don't like it?

No, and we're not asking that.

>It's bad enough the new rover rules favor a fast rover that uses fixed
>mobile antennas driving through populated areas. Maybe there should be a
>rule that every single or multi op within 200 miles must work me on all
>the bands I have. Maybe we should subtract points from your score for
>every rover you don't work. How's that sound? These suggested rule changes
>are getting ridiculous and I don't believe reflect the feelings of the
>actual people who are operating or even the spirit of VHF contesting.

I don't believe anyone is suggesting any rule changes here.  We're just
asking questions, there is no need to get so upset.

>  Where is ND3F, W3IY, N2JHM, N2MH on this issue? In my opinion these are
> the people you should be asking, not telling.

Again, no one is TELLING anyone to do anything, just asking questions and
for others opinions.

>--
>Dennis Hudson, N2LBT
>N2OJY-N2LBT/VE2/R