[VHFcontesting] poll

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] poll
From: "frank bechdoldt" <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 17:50:56 -0800
Jim

In an earlier post you said we dont have rovers who do that on the west
coast because Texas isnt on the west coast. You implied and I state that
they did it in Texas. It is hard to go to someplace in california and be
where you wont be heard.  If you are going to discredit what I say about
cicling by saying i dont know what Im talking about. Again they knew they
were going to go someplace un populated. You can go back to the 2004 posts
on here and see they felt it wouldnt hurt no one out there.  Point being the
contest is to work everone, not 98 percent yourself.

Im not saying they lied, I am saying they made a deliberate decision to work
no one but thierselfs by going someplace where no one lives.

If you read the comments on the poll you will see where other people (not)
me mentioned them not working others or using calling frequencies to
coordinate thier efforts and ignoring the others calling them. They did not
name this team it was the group who has been running I-5. I would name them
for the texas 98% self purchased qsos as mentioned in QST magazine. As foir
the group roving californai on other events perhaps they were other roving
teams who put out an effort in california but did not turn in a log.

They are not the only group who circles, I didnt mean to get specific at
first, but I guess I do when I mention a team who worked themself 98 percent
of the time to get an award in Texas when they were from california. Then
you mentioned callsigns and its all down hill from there.

Some of the same hams have wonderful hf contesting stations and that must be
a good thing.
They cant work everone in the contest and efficiently circle in a timely
manner.  IE 10 bands with 16 grid combinations makes for 160 qsos with one
partner, or 320 with two. take that with the time it takes to aim lasers, 10
ghz gear ect... its no wonder they ignored other calls on 222.1

They probaly do now work others while moving, why not? Again I have not
heard them do it, the claims on the poll are just as valad as Jims are in my
book.

As for n6mu, I dont know what you did in June. However if you were in the
group that went to texas then it is true, 98 percent working yourselves is
not the same contest the rest of did in 2004.
Its up to you to respond but what are the percentages of non rovers you
worked since the texas rove?

I mean look at your posted scores they all had the same multipliers.  I
would of hoped the guy with the big beams atleast could of picked up an
extra grid our two as compared to the other two stations loops.

Well it should be said in the same spirit. The Arrl doesnt fix the problem
so we have things like this, its good to air out now ant then.  I do not
circle, I have been asked and I did not serve. I wil someday when they make
it its own class. Hopefully in its own contest because I would try to work
as many of the people up here as possible.

You say there is only 10 of you doing it, why should you skew it for the
other 90 -100 who do not choose to manipulate the rules to post a big score.
What respect to you get when perhaps over half of us would at least like to
see it as its own catagory if not eleminated?

Well the tv election results should be less contriversial. I hope we can
keep contesting as inclusive to working as many people as possible not just
here and there.  Then again I guess I put a value on distance.

73s
Frank