Re: [VHFcontesting] Are EME/MS digital QSOes reducing roverscontribution

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Are EME/MS digital QSOes reducing roverscontributions?
From: Keith Morehouse <w9rm@calmesapartners.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 08:07:28 -0600
On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 10:34 PM, Dave Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net> wrote:
> Hi James,
>        Your comments about rovers and big stations running EME or meteor
> skeds is one that I have been wrestling with for quite awhile. You are right
> that there is a downside to these digital sked attempts. I know that many
> stations would argue that EME digital QSOs make for a good score from
> certain parts of the country, but I can't help but think that EME QSOs at
> least can be detrimental to the common good for the reasons you mention.

I have made it clear that I think EME QSOs should simply be banned
from the three ARRL VHF contests, the ARRL UHF contest and the CQWW
VHF test.  It is obvious to me that many of these contests are turning
into EME events - to the detriment of all other operators.  Just look
at some of the record setting multiplier totals - all because of EME.
There are dedicated EME contests - the traditional VHF/UHF tests
should be terrestrial only.

My view is not a popular one these days, so that's not going to
happen.  And, yes, I have personally increased MY contest multiplier
total using EME.

Frankly, I don't think EME is impacting Rover operation any more then
the other entry catagories.  Digital meteor scatter is much more
widely used by 10X the participants and accounts for most of the 'off
time' from 'traditional' operations.  Old fashioned SSB or CW meteor
scatter was quite popular in the "old days" and actually took much
longer.  But, only the 'big guns' would take the time and the loss of
'operating minutes' for other endeavors was not as noticeable on the
bands.  Digital scatter is much easier, quicker and being a bit
automated, is easier to use for a larger number of stations.  Hence, a
larger perceived impact to 'on time'.

In my opinion, there are two ways to improve this situation.  The
first, as K5QE mentioned, is to improve participants 'situational
awareness' and improve assistance techniques.  The second, which would
be more beneficial for all participants, is to encourage rover
stations to actively participate in digital meteor scatter during
contests.  The majority of top level rover stations I have seen are
easily capable of completing digital scatter contacts with decent
fixed stations on 2M (some are capable on 6M also).

Successful rover meteor scatter operation would require a Internet
connection, which I know could be problematic.  But, this has been
overcome in the spotting arena by developing new tools.  Possibly the
same could be done to address the need during MS operations.

Jay W9RM
DM58 CO