[AMPS] 4CX15000 Amp.????

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 4CX15000 Amp.????
From: philk5pc@connect.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 13:39:44 -0500
At 01:38 PM 4/18/97 -0400, Robert W. Stankus wrote:

> No tube or tubes shall be used in any RF amp.that has a total plate
dissipation >rating not to exceed 1500 watts.

What about the RTTY and other digital mode users? Aren't they entitled to
1500 watts output also? I would think that a tube with a 3000 watt dissipation
rating would be good engineering practice in the design of amps for these
modes.
How long would our automobiles last if they were power limited to 65 mph at
maximum allowable RPM? Most vehicles today are designed to go 120 mph or more
at maximum RPM. Machinery and electronic equipment run at their maximum
capability all the time are not very reliable. As for "level playing field",
US amateurs have both hands tied behind their backs on 40m, one hand tied
behind their backs on 30m, and on 20m....well I won't even get into that!
Suffice it to say that there is no combination of skill, timing, and antennas
that will allow one to work the P5 on the first day with 1500 watts.

>I am sure a lot of flack is about to fly as many manufacturers will
>stage a revolt.

How about the buyers of these amplifiers? I see message after message on here
regarding how many times they have sent their amps back to the factory.
The commercially manufactured amateur amplifiers in todays market are
severely under engineered by the standards of the "70's and '80's. Your
"rule making" will reduce all of the "top of the line" models to "toy amps"
like the rest of the line. The Feds will have to remove my 3CX3000A7
from my cold, dead hand!

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC