[AMPS] 4CX15000 Amp.????

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 4CX15000 Amp.????
From: k0wa@southwind.net (Lee Buller)
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 14:00:58 -0500
>How about the buyers of these amplifiers? I see message after message on here
>regarding how many times they have sent their amps back to the factory.
>The commercially manufactured amateur amplifiers in todays market are
>severely under engineered by the standards of the "70's and '80's. Your
>"rule making" will reduce all of the "top of the line" models to "toy amps"
>like the rest of the line. The Feds will have to remove my 3CX3000A7
>from my cold, dead hand!
>
>(((73)))
>Phil, K5PC

Phil...

I like your posts and you seem to be quite good at amplifiers.  I disagree
with your assessment of the 1500 watt mandatory tube plate dissapation rule.
I think that is a novel idea to level the playing field.  I agree with you
that design considerations might call for a few more watts so not to run the
tube at its maximum.  But, I think a rule stating the maximum plate
disappation would be good.  I would settle for the 3CX3000A7 running at 1500
watts.  You realize, that making the upper limit a 3000 watt watt
disappation level you effectively say, "run 3000 watts."  Well, the tube
would last my life time.  But really, so we need tubes with handles?  Do we
need that much power?  What is the difference of working the p5 on day one
or day 15?  You still worked it?  When the sunspots grace us...does it
really matter?  I think not!

I'm happy that the idea was not limiting it to 500 watts!

Best Regards,
Lee
k0wa@southwind.net