[AMPS] Parasitic suppressors/another question,

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Parasitic suppressors/another question,
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 12:45:11 -0400

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999 17:38:35 -0700 Rich Measures <measures@vc.net> writes:

>>On Thu, 8 Apr 1999 11:13:44 -0700 Rich Measures <measures@vc.net>
>writes:
>>>
>>ALL SNIPPED

>>>either
>
>>>around
>>>provides
>>>doesn't
>>>
>>>Ä  amen. In parasite-arced bandswitches, damage occurs primarily on
>>>the 10m and 15m taps.  .
>>

>>Completely subjective and unproven Rich.
>>
>?  the photographs lie?

Anthing taken long after the fact is open to question.

>>Another option which I subscribe to is Peters/Ians  version when it
>comes
>>to parasitics.
>>
>>In a real amp that is 100% stable to start with, the switch failures
>are
>>primarily due to the mfg trying to save a few $$  and using a poor
>>initial choice .
>
>?  The TL-922 and SB-220 bandswitches have a withstanding potential of
>bit under 6000v at sea level.  The peak RF potential in both
>amplifiers
>is around 2900v.  (see arced bandswitch photos on my Web site and in
>"Parasitics Revisited", Sept./Oct. 1990 *QST*)
>?  If such  bandswitch arcing is not vhf-related, why is it common to
>see
>>100% increases in R-supp after bandswitch arcing?

Simple I believe. The voltage is not an issue in the SB-220 but the
current is. I have examined almost 200 bandswitches and amps that have
been run hard on 10/11M show a loss of contact tension. This soon leads
to overheating and eventual failure. When the rotor heats up it then also
transfers heat to the 15M contact. It then becomes a domino effect.
IOTH, those amps that use positive spring loaded contact pressure such as
the JV-9000 series do not exhibit that failure mode.

I have modified a few SB-220's with a second output wafer and wired in
parallel with a good or rebuilt original. These amps are still used in
contests and failures have ceased.

No voodoo suppressors, no parasitics.

>>Before the doubters wind up in a snit I suggest that they take a real
>>look at the specs of the commonly used switches and try to understand
>>exactly what they are spending money on.
>>
>?  Better yet, use a high-potential tester and evaluate the
>bandswitches
>yourself.

I already have and in-circuit testing does not agree with your results.
The SB-220 switch in a humid summertime enviroment will breakdown at a
hair over 3500V. In a dirty or nicotine stained amp the breakdown is
around 2800V. Reconnect the Tune cap and the breakdown is below 2500V in
extreme dirty condx.

73  Carl  KM1H

>Rich...
>
>R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures
>

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]