[AMPS] SWR and line length, etc.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SWR and line length, etc.
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 21:46:15 -0500
Pete Smith wrote:

>At the risk of fanning the flames again,  I think the original question was
>whether a change in line length could cause the apparent resonant frequency
>of an antenna to change. My 20M antenna has a feedpoint impedance of 35-j14
>at 14 mhz.  If I mathematically attach a half-wavelength of RG-8 (using
>TLA.EXE), the impedance at the input end of the cable becomes 36-j 13.3,
>and the result, as you'd expect, is slightly lower SWR due to line loss.
>however, if the line is pruned to 1/4 wave, the resulting input-end
>impedance is 61.75+j23, and it appears that the antenna has magically moved
>from being short at 14 MHz to being long.  The SWR hasn't changed,
>fundamentally, but the mix of reactance and resistance confronted by the
>AMP sure has, unless I misunderstand what the program is telling me.

Correct, Pete.

As you move along the transmission line (assuming a 50 Ohm line in a 50
Ohm system), the VSWR remains constant.  But the reactances definitely
change and at some points, you do have zero reactances as well.

So yes, I would suspect that your match would be different depending on
the line length.

73,

Jon
KE9NA