[AMPS] SWR and line length, etc.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SWR and line length, etc.
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 99 17:01:23 -0500
Roger D. Johnson wrote:

>Oops! Your turn to be wrong. At 1/8 wave down the line the R component
>is
>about 40 ohms and the X component is -30 ohms. With a resistive load the
>
>R component never goes to zero.

Oops!  Roger, you are correct.  Mea Culpa!

I messed up reading the Smith Chart.  Your right.  The impedance read on
a Smith Chart is the intersection of the constant resistance and the
constant reactance curves.  At 1/8 wave from the 100 Ohm point (2.0
constant resistance circle), the normalized values are 0.8 Ohms real and
0.6 Ohm imaginary (0.8-j0.6).  In the 50 Ohm world that is 40-j30 just
like you said.

When I was reading the chart this afternoon, I noticed that but ignored
it since I was thinking in terms of an X-Y axis.  At 1/8 lambda, you have
no X component.  But that's not the proper way to read a Smith Chart.

I stand correct.  Let the record say that!

Thank you for pointing it out instead of throwing inuendos like others!

73,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na