[AMPS] SWR and line length, etc.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SWR and line length, etc.
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 99 14:05:19 -0500
measures wrote:

>>No, that's not correct necessarily.  A 100 Ohm termination used in a 50
>>Ohm system has no reactive components.  Adding a 1/8 wavelength of 50 Ohm
>>transmission line will make that 100 Ohm real load look purely reactive.
>
>?  Weird Science.

How is that Weird Sceince, O Great One?

Or do you say that the Smith Chart is not correct and that all the people
throughout the world who use it are wrong?

If I have a 50 Ohm piece of coax in a 50 Ohm system and my load is 100 Ohms, at
a point 1/8 wavelength toward the exciter, the polar angle of my impedance
vector is -90 degrees.  This indicates a purely reactive condition with no real
component.  You end up with the impedance being 0 - j30 Ohms - capacitive.

Now if I am wrong, someone please point it out.  The Smith Chart is a mapping
that you can overlay on an X-Y axis where the Y-axis is the imaginary or
reactive component and the X-axis is the real component.  If the value of the X
coordinate is zero at some particular point that therefore implies that it is a
completely reactive point!

How is that weird science?

73,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na