Re: [Amps] Centurion cooling improvement ideas for AM service

To: Joe Isabella <n3ji@yahoo.com>, Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Centurion cooling improvement ideas for AM service
From: Bill Fuqua <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:44:50 -0400
With easing up on the requirements to get a HF license. It is becoming more and more difficult to find a spot to operate. Some would interpret 6KHz bandwidth limit for SSB to mean that splatter is acceptable. 3 Khz is sufficient band width to communicate by voice. In fact telephones have been built using the 300 to 3000 Hz band width ( or there about) as being sufficient for all voices but
perhaps not music.
6 kHz on SSB would be greater audio bandwidth than used for standard AM broadcast (5kHz). Which was adopted to accommodate music broadcast.
The other side to using 6kHz for SSB in particular on the receiving end would require twice the transmitted power to accomplish the same signal to noise as compared to 3khz. And 3 times the tx power than when using 2kHz. So the minimum power rule enters in as well.
Using twice the bandwidth than necessary just does not make sense.
What I don't understand is the use of independent sideband. What does ISB have to do with ham radio. It was used for long distance phone communications before undersea cables and satellites to either transmit two or more channels or for secure transmissions. Are we going to transmit stereo? If so it seems to be a waste of bandwidth.
Also, mixing automated digital modes and voice or manual CW is a bad mistake. For example a PSK 31 station observing a CW station would perhaps think that he is not going to interfere with it and go ahead and transmit only 50 or 100 Hz from the CW stations frequency. Or a CW station may think that a PSK31 station was just a birdie or some other obnoxious signal that was not a ham station if he did not have a means of monitoring (a computer and such). You can hear the modulation on a PSK31 signal if you have sufficient signal strength. But other wise it may just sound like some other spurious signal produced by the numerous microcontrollers in the neighborhood.
The accepted minimum bandwidth for CW 3 times the dit rate (2.5 times WPM= Hz bandwidth) the word rate. The theoretical limit is actually the dit rate but it is difficult to copy with out using a computer at that narrow of a bandwidth (this is easy to prove mathematically). So 11 or 12 WPM would take up the space of 1 PSK31 signal if we limited the rise and fall time of the transmitter to what would be necessary. Or if you used a computer to copy, the speed of OOK (CW) could be raised to over 20 wpm but to limit the TX bandwidth to the real bandwidth limit would require more than a key click filter. Just limiting the rise and fall times to some value will not do it. This is another story entirely. You might call it SSBCW with Carrier.

My fear is that if we persist in setting HARD limits in bandwidth and such we will finally end up with the HF bands defined as channels (like 60meters) and require everyone to use "Standardize radio equipment". This would prevent lots of experimentation and learning by young and old ham. I would like one change, after giving it much thought. That is, to allow HF amplifiers to be manufactured that can be driven by low power transmitters. This allows QRP operators/experimenters to easily purchase QRO equipment. It is OK as long as there are provisions for not allowing amplifiers to be sold to non-HF-hams.

73
Bill wa4lav