Re: [Amps] working backwards to setup tank

To: PA3DUV <pa3duv@planet.nl>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] working backwards to setup tank
From: Bill Fuqua <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 18:16:31 -0400
That reminds me about an interesting incident with a MFJ antenna analyzer.
Our club had just put up an new 2 meter repeater antenna. They had made
some adjustments to it in one of the member's back yard with it on a short
mast. When they took it to the site and installed it the MFJ analyzer was
pegged indicating a very high SWR.  They were at a loss as to what had gone
wrong with the antenna. After hearing about their problem I informed them
that there were some high power pager antennas only a few hundred feet
away. I suggested that they check it again with a real swr/power meter. The
problem was that the antenna was picking up the 150 MHz signals from the
near by paging transmitters, and since there was more power flow from the
antenna to the analyzer than the in the forward direction the analyzer
thought the was SWR greater than infinity to one.
73
Bill wa4lav