Re: [Amps] Transformers

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Transformers
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 09:11:18 +0100
>>Will said:
>>
>>>Also, the very first step in designing a transformer is calculating its
>>
>>core size from the output power in watts it needs to deliver.<
>>
>>A 'reductio ad absurdum' suggests that if core size and saturation doesn't
>>matter, there's no need for those big 1MW+ transformers that the power
>>companies use to be the size that they are......
Electromag was something that just didn't lodge in my brain at
university and I struggled with inductor and transformer design for ages
- especially trying to compare Gauss/Oersteds/inches with
Teslas/Webers/metres. To anyone who shares my problems, I recommend
http://ludens.cl/Electron/Magnet.html  The section on power has an
interesting description of what determines power handling in a
transformer. I'd welcome comments from those with a better understanding
than me as to whether the information on the page is trustworthy.

Steve