Re: [Amps] Look at this Custom 10kW Amp

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Look at this Custom 10kW Amp
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 23:30:37 -0700
On 4/10/2013 8:17 PM, Patrick wrote:
So engaging in condescension is "being an adult" too?

It's not about money, it's about playing by the rules when your violation of the rules matters to others in the same sandbox.

10kW is 8.2 dB more than the legal limit in the US, which means you have that much advantage in a competitive situation (like a DX pileup or contest) when you use that 10kW that you paid for. And it means the splatter from your ancient (or badly tuned) rig is 8.2 dB louder than it would be with a legal limit amp. And so on.

I have great disrespect for those who are inconsiderate of others.

As to "headroom" -- those of us who stayed awake in our EE courses know that efficiency decreases with most classes of amplifier operation as the power level is reduced from the design maximum for the amplifier, so running an amp near its design level is often less stressful than running at much less power.

73, Jim K9YC